Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter Stash Busting!

So, a couple of years ago, I bought a large quantity of lace weight yarn from Knit Picks, to knit a very complicated entrelac shawl that I was simply drooling over. I had originally started it in a different yarn, that was just so mohairy that it got all tangly and was untinkable in the case of an occasional error. (What can I say, I get distracted sometimes!) At the last minute, I bailed and made the shawl below, which is I think called "Cherry Blossom" from some long ago Interweave Knits magazine. Sorry, I do not have the energy to look up which one right at the moment. Here it is in all of its glory:

Here is a pic of the edging:


And, here is a pic of the center:


It has been worn a total of one time, to my grandfather's wake. I honestly have not found another occasion to wear it. One odd thing about the construction of the shawl is that you start with the outside and work in... and even with blocking, it would never quite lie flat. Not a problem when wearing it, fortunately... After knitting it, I had almost three skeins of the yarn left, so I started "Eva's Scarf" from the book, Scarf Style. Sure, I was already a little tired of the yarn, but my yarn funds have been quite dry ever since buying my own home... Needless to say, I put the project deep down far away after a while... I kept making mistakes, and was so tired of the yarn! Plus, you start with the outside scalloped edge and continuously decrease, so at the beginning, it was extremely tedious. Every time I made a mistake, I would just want to scream! A couple of days ago, I pulled it back out and decided that this was the time to FINISH. And I did! True, I spent almost the entire weekend on the darned thing, to the detriment of anything else I could have done... like leaving the house... Here she is, blocking away... sorry for the grody background of mismached towels...


And, a closeup of the edging...


Today was Easter. I went out to breakfast with Laurie and Tarsha, and it was really nice, relaxing and yummy. I do like me a good breakfast! Well, my darlings, it is officially Mr. Bed Time. Sweet dreams! (Hopefully not of that yarn... have I mentioned that I have over 1 1/2 skeins of that blasted stuff left? Anyone interested in it? I'm willing to talk...)

No comments: