Friday, June 02, 2006

Things that have been Bothering Me

Okay, admittedly, these things are not unusually important in the grand scheme of things. But still, they warrant a moment of my time every once in a while.

Item one: Horsepower. I find this to be a stupid concept. I don't care how many horses it would take to win a tug of war against my car... that is the closest comparison I can think of, and it is LAME! Can we please come up with something better? PLEASE?

Item two: I hate that time is divided so awkwardly. I mean, if you run 5 miles in 43 minutes, you can't simply divide 43 by five and come up with your pace... you must do a little fancy footwork to get things right. I hate that!

Item three: Not using the metric system. Yeah, it would take all of us a little time to get used to, but it would make more sense. Let's face it: most of us are NOT smart enough to remember how many pints there are in a quart or a gallon, or how many tablespoons there are in a cup, or whatever.

But really, the one that bothered me the most today was the horsepower thing. I mean, what a dumb concept. Really, now. (insert disapproving glower here) (does anyone ever use the word 'glower' any more? did they ever?)

I am also possibly annoyed that there is not a secret ice cream machine compartment in my house... you know, like behind a hidden panel that I never knew was there, until the day I went to go hang a painting and boink! it just popped open... That would be awesome.

3 comments:

Liz said...

If we are making a comprehensive list, I'd like to throw in my two cents: Why hasn't anyone taken Star Trek's lead and invented the teleporter? We have fax machines, why not take it a step further, hmmmm?

Or at the very least I'm mad at Gene Roddenberry for teasing us like that.

Amanda said...

well, a fax machine does not transmit the actual item; it transmits a facsimile. i do NOT like the idea of my facsimile blundering around out there... VERY dangerous!

sukeyknits said...

Metric seems more egalitarian than using some king's foot measurement. I'm all for the change, but I guess that is what keeps us American - stubbornly using something that doesn't work well.