Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The One Week Project

Yes, I have managed to finish a knitting project, as shown here:

It is completely finished, and is currently blocking. Here are the stats:

Victoria Tank by Veronik Avery, from Interweave Knits Summer 2004.
Size made: 34 1/2" (my gauge never quite got small enough)
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy (34% hemp, 41% cotton, 25% modal) Note: I have no idea what Modal is...
Needles: Size 1 US circs and dps
Date started: July 3
Date re-started: July 3
Date finished: July 11

The lace pattern was simple and quick to memorize. I did place stitch markers at every 3 repeats, so I would catch myself if I made a mistake. I tend not to notice sometimes until I'm at the end of a row, and with 252 stitches per round, that's a lot of fiddly tinking, to be sure. The tank is knit in the round up to the armpits, and then is divided front and back, and divided again for each section leading toward the straps. For the straps, you pick up stitches around the arm hole, and then pick up stitches along a chain stitched length. Certainly something I had never done before. After the armhole edging and neck edging is done, you fold over what you've knit to reveal the picot edging. I suppose all of this also strengthens and reinforces the straps. The pattern did call for 'smaller' needles once you reached the straps, but since I did not have a size 0 available, I just knit tighter in this area, and I think it seemed to work out.

Overall, I liked this pattern. I am a little nervous about what the final product will feel like- I'm not totally confident that the hemp will have a nice drape. I guess I will have to wait and see! I have a fan pointed toward the tank- hope that speeds things up.

I have a guilty confession... but it will have to wait another day or two until I have a good picture to show. I am willing to bet that Cece will be able to take a wild guess at what that confession is. Ooh, let's have a contest of my, like, two readers and see if anyone can guess what the confession is! Post a comment and the winner will get nothing! (Sorry. But I will sing you praises on my blog for making the good guess)

2 comments:

Cece said...

What I hope the confession is - you started working on my MILs stupid sweater.

What I bet it is - you have started your fun new Noro sweater.

sukeyknits said...

My guess is that with this darn weather the heat and humidity made you go a little cuckoo and you ate your new Noro yarn and discovered it tasted better than it looks!

Although I'm not sure if this would be a guilty secret or something you couldn't wait to share.