Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Yarn Related Road Trip!

On Monday, Cece, Susan and I met at Nancy's Airfield Cafe for lunch, and then headed West to the yarn mecca of the world (in my opinion), Webs. I'm pretty sure my readers have all been there, but if you have not, it is like this: a fairly good sized yarn store at the outset... but then, if you walk through the regular yarn store, you get to a HUMONGOUS WAREHOUSE. It is full of yarn higher than you can reach. Higher than I can reach, even! It is amazing. I can remember what my reaction was the first time I went, which I have heard is similar to the reaction of others: the jaw drops, and there is a huge gasp. GASP! So. Much. Yarn.

Anyway, I managed to make a few good purchases: a bunch of sock yarn, some nice hemp yarn for a tank top I've been meaning to make forever, some adorable angora yarn for baby booties, and then, the cherry on top: The Noro Kureyon yarn I have been wanting to buy forever. It was a close call: I was shopping, filling my basket, and then I was drooling over the Kureyon. I sort of noticed that 'my color' (the color I have been stalking for a couple of years now) was not there. Susan noted that it might be discontinued, which was a concerning thought. I asked a salesperson, and she confirmed that indeed the color had been discontinued (gasp), but that they had four bags of it in the back. (yay!) Just to be safe, I bought two full bags. While I was getting it, several other people saw the color (delicious!) and HAD to have some of it for themselves. So, here is the Noro yarn, along with the photo of the sweater I intend to make with it.

You would think that I would start with the Noro project right away, but since it's summer, I figured I'd start with the tank top first. I am so practical. Now, true, I still haven't finished the Gibson Girl, but I swear I will. Eventually.

So, here is a pic of the hemp yarn for the tank top, along with my 8 1/2 inches of progress so far. I had to go down to a size 1 needle, so progress has been SLOW- size 1's make my hands more tired than usual. Please note that I started this post on the 5th, but it is really the 7th, so progress is not as amazing as you would think! :)

Next, a super duper selection of sock yarn. I just now noticed that the two balls of Gedifra sock yarn are technically a different color. Silly me. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!
And last but not least, I got some more angora for the tiny, fuzzy baby booties that I made before- AWWWWWWW.

So, sorry it took so long to finish this post... I will make sure to add updates and photos as the tank progresses!

No comments: