Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Argosy

I didn't like the gauge of my experimental 'design it myself' sweater, so I decided to do the knitterly thing and pretend it didn't exist for the time being. I'll frog it and start over again, just not quite yet. Really.
In the meantime, I fretted over what to knit next. (Important stuff, people, important stuff!) I reviewed the most current Knitty, and remembered that Argosy called for exactly two balls of Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy, which is exactly the amount that I had left over from another project... yeah, I guess the directions for THAT one were a little generous on the yardage needed... but, Argosy is all the happier for it!

~~Project Details~~
Pattern: Argosy from Knitty
Yarn: Hempathy by Elsebeth Lavold, just under 2 balls
Needles: Size 3 Addi Turbos circulars (one size smaller than called for)
Comments: I liked this pattern. It was easy to memorize, and I liked the cute squares and the diagonal knitting. I thought it was well written, and I would recommend this pattern to anyone.
AND, I decided to practice knitting back and forth without turning the work, which made this even more entertaining! Partway through the project, I really felt like I had the hang of it, at least the knitting and purling part. I don't think I could be doing any additional stitches with much prowess yet... but this is a great skill to have for projects where you have to keep flipping your work every minute or so. I guess my technique is that I'm a 'thrower' when knitting forwards, then knit continental style on the way back. Interesting how that all works out. I would also recommend giving this a try if you haven't already!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Great scarf! I've been seeing these all over blogland, and I think I'm convinced to try it. Brave soul, experimenting with new techniques too!

Cece said...

Nice..... how long did it end up being in the end?

I just ate some more 'fava fuel'.

hassam said...

nice blog dear..keep it up