Thursday, March 22, 2007

My New Studio!

So, as some of you might know, I live in a city that has many old mill and factory buildings renovated into condos and art studio spaces. I have been thinking in the back of my mind that the time might be right for me to jump on the bandwagon, to have a nice, spacious place to work, and to increase my exposure to the public. (Get yer mind out of the gutter - I'm talkin' jewelry here!)
This past weekend, I went and met a woman who wanted a 'studio mate'. Pretty immediately, I got the "I do NOT want to share a space with this woman" vibe. Ecccch. More specifically, she seemed like a serious control freak who wanted everything just so. Not that I am like that at all... So, on a whim, I contacted the management company. Turns out, they are doing some more renovations elsewhere in the building, and guess who is gettin' her own spanking new studio! They haven't started building yet, so here are some pics with comments:

Here is a shot of the entire floor, with 'my' two windows in the background:

Next, "my" two windows up close. The space is 225 square feet - small, but big enough for beads, which are very, very tiny! The left edge of the space ends at the end of the wall, and I'm right next to the ramp to the other part of the building. The right edge of the space ends at the pipe to the right of the right hand window. There's a chalk line on the floor to delineate the front border, but I'll be danged if I can see it!
My two windows from another angle. Please note the tiny patch of wood floor I have left - luxurious!
Finally, a random 'poster' left over from the most recent tenants. Evidently, scissor thievery was quite a problem, and people MOVED the pallets. The nerve!The space is very inexpensive, and is pretty bare bones. The walls will not go up to the ceiling, so we'll all share the ambient light from the space. We will each get our very own fluorescent light and an electrical plug. I'll have my own door and lock.

It's a great artist community already, and I'm excited to become a part of it! I'll be sure to post updates as they arise.

3 comments:

glazedandconfuzed said...

YAY congrats Social Threader!!

Carie said...

Congratulations on the new space - it looks like it will be great and you will get to make many more purdy things for us all to drool over!

tnt said...

Congrats on getting your new space. Can't wait to see it some day.