Sunday, September 23, 2007

Autumn is Coming

A small handful of things have happened recently to tip me off to this realization, including of course, the calendar telling me so. A few days ago, I left my house in the morning to go to work, and I could see my breath against the chilly morning air. Yesterday, I was driving along the highway and spotted the first hints of leaves turning from green to yellow. I have also needed to toss on a sweater here and there... tank top weather is slowly fading away. Starting school doesn't count, since I have to go back to school mid-August... that is still summer, I tells ya! I also saw a movie on t.v. recently that showed a Nor'Easter... the snowy season is sneaking up on us, people. My flip flops are already feeling sad. They told me so.

Another sign of Autumn is Lowell Open Studios. This coming weekend, from noon to 5 PM on Saturday and Sunday, dozens and dozens of Lowell artists open their studio doors and share their artistic talents with the public. I have participated over the past two years, but in my own home, which was always great fun. This year, I'll be participating in my new studio space at Western Avenue Studios , studio #327. If you're in my neck of the woods, do stop by... I have been working on some new pieces, including about 20 new bead crochet bracelets - my hands are tired!

In unrelated news, I got to be an elementary school gym teacher this past Friday! The circumstances that led to this event were very sad: a local firefighter died in the line of duty, and his wife works in the Lowell school system. The school she works at asked for volunteers from other schools to come over and sub for teachers who wished to attend the funeral mass, and I volunteered to go over. I ended up getting placed in the gym, and taught 4 gym classes, in grades Kindergarten through 3rd. We did jumping jacks, stretches, played pac man tag, and watched a very dated 80's movie on bicycle safety. I reminded kids to sit 'criss cross applesauce' (cross legged) when we were sitting down on the floor, and sweated up a storm, running around in 80 degree heat in my work clothes. Kindergarten kids in gym class was a hoot... it was a welcome change of pace for me.

When I used to do individual counseling, the little ones were always my favorites. I'm a little out of practice, having worked exclusively with teenagers for the last five years. I got a kick out of their little lisps and their tiny velcro shoes and how small they all were, with their adorable haircuts and unabashed enjoyment of jumping jacks, stretching and running around. No one complained about any of the activities or acted too cool to participate... both boys and girls alike enjoyed themselves equally. It was really great.

2 comments:

Liz said...

It is getting autumn-y here too! Today I wore a scarf on the way to work...
-Lizmo

Liz (made in lowell) said...

That's such a cute story about kindergarden gym :)

(Another Liz)