Monday, September 10, 2007


Double Knitting should Walk the Plank!

:(


I am suspicious that I might have bitten off more than I can chew, at least time-wise. The other evening, I went out to eat with a bunch of other women, and we got to talking about international "Talk Like a Pirate Day", AKA TLAPD. The official day is September 19th, and I am looking forward to sharing a few "ARRRRRRR"s and inappropriate uses of words such as "booty", "bounty", and the like. Several women mentioned that they have already knit their Pirate Queen Booty Bag for the occasion. I quickly glanced at the pattern, figured sure, I can do that, and then zipped out for the yarn. However, it is done in double knitting, in the round, which means that you're knitting the front and the back during the same row - sometimes, double knitting is done flat, where you knit one side in one direction, and the other side on the way back. Well, it is slow going, folks. Slow indeed. I'm about 1/3 done after a couple of serious days of knitting. Once I'm done with the knitting, it needs to be felted, shaped, and dried. Oh, have I mentioned that there is supposed to be I-cord edging and bindoff on all edges, AND an i-cord edging around the bottom, inside and out. Good lord. I MIGHT get it done... for NEXT YEAR'S TLAPD! Anyway, it will be a seriously cool bag, for whenever it's done.
Here is the progress so far:


Anyway... we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

sukeyknits said...

I wish ye well in your endeavors - both with the bag and speaking pirate. You have your work cut out for you it looks!