Monday, September 03, 2007

Myrtle Leaf Shawl

I do believe that the first and only photo I have flashed of this project as it was ongoing was here. However, as of this morning, it is completely complete. I headed outside to take some pictures, but had a little bit of a hard time. You see, the yarn is quite thin and light, and it is kinda windy out there! I did the best I could to take a few good shots.
First off, a picture on a cafe' chair. You can sorta see what's going on, but not really:


Next, a nicely pigeon-pooped park bench. A little bit more detail here:

A super duper closeup of the lace pattern. Nice leafy detail in this one:


I stole a brief, unbreezy moment to grab this shot with the shawl hanging from a dangerously pointy iron fence. Check out how see through and super airy and lacy it is. You can see the best lace pattern definition at the bottom of the picture:


Super duper closeup of the edge pattern:


Annnnnnd, one last shot of the pattern details:



Project Details:

Pattern: Myrtle Leaf Shawl from Victorian Lace Today by Jane Sowerby
Errata: corrections can be found at this link. Myrtle leaf shawl pattern DID have errors, so do visit that link to save yourself headaches if you're thinking of knitting this pattern!
Finished Size: 14" by 75"
Yarn: Almaza Tencel in this color by Just Our Yarn
There are 1000 yards of this lovely yarn in one skein, and for $21, that seemed like quite a deal! I had plenty left over when the project was done... perhaps not enough to make anything useful, but enough so that I didn't feel nervous as I was working the edging.
Needles: Knitpicks circular needles in size 3.

Project Notes:
I liked this pattern, although I must confess I was getting tired of the repetitive pattern of the body of the shawl by the end there. The border is knitted on afterwards, and it was easy to memorize, was only 12 stitches wide, and flew right along.
I loved the yarn - very pretty, light, and nice to work with. I think I like their heavier weight of tencel yarn, Aziza, because it feels a little more substantial to me and a little less fiddly. People, I will definitely buy yarn from Just Our Yarn again... it's beautiful, the women who run it are super nice, and it's a very reasonably priced yarn.
The Knitpicks needles are way pointier than the regular Addi Turbos, which make them better for knitting lace. I have heard good things about the Addi Lace needles, but haven't taken the plunge yet. Perhaps I should... I do have yet another shawl that is partially knit, and a nice pointy needle might really be a nice change with that one.
Lastly, I would like to point out that when pinning this bad boy, I not only pinned around the rectangular body section, but I also put a pin in every single point of the edging. That was a LOT of pins. A SUPER LOT.

1 comment:

~B.Z. said...

I WANT that shawl !