Sunday, November 11, 2007

Okay, I'm outing myself...

Here is my confession... for a while now, I have thought that Blythe dolls were kinda cute, and I really wanted one. I found an online message board for lovers of Blythe, and scooped up several pre-loved dollies. I admit that the Blythe bug has hit pretty darn hard, and I just love them. I have never collected anything before, and not only am I collecting them (sort of... some Blytheaholics have dozens of them!), but I'm really interested in customizing them! Check this out:

This little dolly was a Prima Dolly Saffy, and had been customized by her former owner... the lipstick is a bit chunky in real life, and something needed to be done, and pronto! Soooooo.... check out the new and improved dolly, named October! (Toby for short, of course)

Blythes have a string in the back of their head that you pull and their eye color changes. Above is a honey color, backed with silver sparkly foil. Below is a light blue eyechip, backed with green foil. Yes, I changed these out myself! I also sand matted her face, gave her light makeup, painted on the freckles, and rerooted the mohair all by myself. I managed to gouge my thumb pretty badly with the teensy crochet hook, but I think the results are worth it!


I WILL be careful, jeez!


Is this better?


Fine then, you my all look at the BACK of my head, instead. Feel free to be jealous of my ridiculously fabulous and fluffy hair:

So, now you know. And even if you think Blythes are creepy (some do), you have to admit that I did a pretty nice freakin' job on the customization!

5 comments:

Liz (made in lowell) said...

I saw these pics in your flickr, I had no idea people customized them. You did a great job, and I love the outdoor shots! I don't have a blythe, but I can say: welcome to the obsessive compulsive world of collecting :)

Amanda said...

Boy oh BOY do people customize them! I just hit some of the basics... but other people go even further with it! some people carve the lips to make them look more real, paint/ gloss the lips (i tried that, it was NOT pretty), give them facial piercings, tattoos, carve the eye sockets, on and on. do some browsing on flickr... you'll be amazed!

Lizmo said...

I may or may not have once used the word "creepy" in the same sentence as the words "blythe dolls" but I must admit that she looks fabulous - I am especially loving the hair!

potatobird said...

they scare me. their eyes keep watching me. i'm here, they're watching me. i go over there, they're still watching me...

~B.Z. said...

O.K. I HAVE to admit Toby is a knock out ! ... and she's NOT scary either ;>)