Monday, January 21, 2008

Homemade Green Curry

Last night, I tried out another recipe from my new favorite cookbook Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Moskowitz. So no, I am not a vegan, but I am always looking for delicious recipes that feature vegetables... too often, a recipe with meat just doesn't have enough veggies in it!

This recipe took a bit longer than some of the other ones I've tried from the cookbook, because you make your own curry from scratch, rather than just opening up a can and spooning it out. I toasted cumin and coriander seeds, ground them with black peppercorns with my mortar and pestle, soaked 2 kinds of hot peppers in boiling water, press and fry the tofu, and so on. I altered the recipe a little bit because I have a great Cambodian grocery store nearby... well, actually, there are MANY Cambodian grocery stores nearby... and was able to get these veggies, all ready to eat:


I have no idea what many of them are, but the small green and white round things are a type of eggplant, as are the purple thingies. There are green beans, some sort of squash, and the rest... who knows? I DO know what the leaf below is.... delicious Thai basil:


Here's everything bubbling in the pot. The hot peppers were so spicy, my eyes were watering and I was coughing up a storm. I was VERY nervous that the whole thing would be too spicy to eat!


Ready to eat, served over short grained brown rice:


The flavor was very nice, and it was worth the extra work. It was NOT too spicy to eat, fortunately, and there are plenty of leftovers for a few lunches this week.

I highly recommend this cookbook. I have made several recipes so far, and they have all been delicious. Although some of htem are more labor intensive than others, but some of them are pretty quick. One of the slightly more labor intensive recipes was for seitan, which is a wheat gluten based meat substitute. I used it in an Ethiopian dish, which was also tasty!

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Mmmmmmmm, that looks tasty!