Sunday, January 06, 2008

Stuff I've Made Lately

Okay, I decided that the last post was so boring, that I needed to make up for it by posting about some things I've made lately. As usual, I have some socks to show off. Both patterns are the most recent shipments from the Rockin' Sock Club.

First up is Lenore, which is made with Blue Moon Fiber Arts new Raven Clan yarn... all of the Raven yarns use black as the background, so they are moody and mysterious. ooohhhhhh......







Project Details:
Pattern: Lenore by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Yarn: STR Raven Clan in Lenore, lightweight
Needles: Size 0 circulars
Notes: I liked the pattern. There were several sizes to choose from, which is always nice. The socks are knit top down, with an interesting detail at the top of the leg. After that, you could pretty much go on autopilot for the rest of the sock, which was nice. They fit well, and I like them.

WARNING; My fingers were totally turning red while knitting these socks. I would strongly warn against tossing these babies into the wash before color setting them in some vinegar/ salt water and then hand washing a few times. No need to turn your wardrobe pink!


The next socks were the final project of the year from the Rockin' Sock Club. They were the Salish Sea Socks by Cat Bordhi. These socks were absolutely fascinating to knit! Here are some pics to start off:




Project Details:

Pattern: Salish Sea Socks by Cat Bordhi
Yarn: STR mediumweight in Bella Coola/ Nuxalk
Needles: Size 0 US circulars
Notes: These socks were fascinating to knit! Cat Bordhi has written a new book that describes a number of new architectures for 'building' socks, and this pattern is a loose cousin to one of those architectures. Basically, she figured out that the arch increases can really happen anywhere around the circumference of that section of the sock, so you can add the increases as part of a pattern, which happens in this sock pattern.
The pattern is toe up, with a round toe. There is a cool pattern along the instep, and another nice pattern around the leg. At the top of the leg was another fun pattern- I was interested and intrigued the whole time!

These two patterns were very different and were enjoyable for different reasons... the first one was a good 'cruise along' sock, where you didn't have to look at the pattern most of the time. The second one required more frequent visits to the pattern page. I liked both of them, and I'm sure I'll wear both a lot!

Now, last but not least, I have a sewing project that I made for my latest customized dolly. I used the 'granny dress' pattern by oriettacat, but added a collar and cuffs, as well as a petticoat underneath. I was going for a 'Wednesday Addams' goth look and I think it turned out fairly well! Unfortunately, I had to take the pic at night and you can't see the waist detail that well. Use your imagination and squint... that might help...


Anyway, that's some of the stuff I've been working on lately.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Both socks are gorgeous!

I got the Cat Bordhi book on Friday, and while I've been flipping through it over the weekend, I can't wait to sit down and actually read it and then start using some of her formulas.

Did open studios go well? Yovani told me about how happy she is with her earrings.