Saturday, May 03, 2008

Can't Stop Spinnin'!

It's true; I'm really enjoying myself. Here is a shot of my latest spinnage. It's fiber from Spunky Eclectic. I love the colors!

I have also plied the pink, purple, and blue fiber I spun the other day, and it is hanging to dry in my shower right now. I ended up with about 250 yards of yarn from that particular effort!

I have been spending a LOT of time online, trying to learn as much as I can about spinning techniques and the like. Just as with any various hobby, craft, or activity, there is an entirely new vocabulary to learn on top of the different techniques. A week ago, I did not know what a rolag was. Now, not only do I know what it is, I know how to make one (in theory), and how to use one (in practice). I know what Navajo plying is, and I think I might actually be able to do it, if I gave it a try! I saw a video of someone spinning on an antique 'walking wheel', which is totally cool... you walk away from and back toward the spinning wheel as you're drafting the fiber one handed, while spinning the wheel in one direction, then the next. It's pretty excellent.

Anyway, that's that for now.

No comments: