Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Hewwo

Many things to report. So, away we go!

Finished socks! I have no idea why the picture is so pixellated, but you get the point.


Project Details

Pattern: Diana's Knee Socks (ravelry link)
Yarn: Knit Picks Felici (striped color) and Essential (solid brown)
Needles: Knit Picks circs in size 0 US
Notes: I did a garter stitch short row toe and heel, and once I ran out of striped yarn, I made a big ol' ribbed cuff until the socks were as long as I wanted. I ended up using all but a couple of yards of the solid brown yarn! If someone shorter than I were to make these socks, they would probably not need the entire third ball, but I would still recommend 3 balls for knee highs.
I like this pattern - it fits very nicely, and the increases worked nicely. I started the increases one inch later than suggested, since my legs are so long and my calves start up higher than other people's!

Next up, the beginning of the Victoria Tank from Interweave Knits Summer 2004. I've actually made this tank before, but misestimated what size to make, and am making it a wee bit bigger (wider and longer) this time. I'm even using the same yarn, Elsebeth Lavold's Hempathy, but in a different color.


And next, another Clapotis! I'm making it full size this go around, with Kauni yarn I bought at a newly discovered yarn store up in NH, The Yarn & Fiber Company. They are moving a little further away soon... which I'm sad about, because it's a wonderful store! Bummer, dude.

The Kauni yarn has very wide bands of color, and the colorway I chose is all greeny blue colors... very nice and subtle. Plus, since the shawl is knitted on the diagonal, the wide swaths of color run perpendicular to the stitch drops, for a pretty cool effect. Here is a shot of the first couple of lines of dropped stitches:


Another project I've been dipping into is dyeing yarn with Kool Aid! First, I did a ton of test swatches, with straight up Kool Aid and some mixes. Here are the test swatches:


And, here is the first actual skein of yarn that I dyed:



I had fun, indeed!

Obviously, I have a lot of projects going on at the moment, which is not par for the course... usually, I finish one and move on to the next... but really, why do I need to do that if I don't feel like it? If I want to start a new project before finishing the last, well, why the heck not!

1 comment:

Trinity said...

Wow! You've been busy. I have been eyeing the Victoria Tank pattern ever since my last trip to Webs. I picked up a bag of Hempathy when I was there and have been trying to decide what to make with it. Maybe I'll be casting on a new project soon!