Friday, May 02, 2008

More spinning, finished socks, sock dilemma

I went over to Cece's house the other evening so that we could spin together. I decided that her spinning wheel is more 'beautiful', while mine is more 'cool'. She didn't seem to like that, but I still think it is true. :) I haven't really seen someone else spinning since I have figured out what is going on, and I noticed that her wheel is a bigger diameter, which means she can pedal much slower for the same output. It's interesting. It's definitely possible that somewhere down the line, I'm going to want a 'faster' wheel. But for now, my beginner wheel is juuuust right!

Here is what I worked on that evening:



I'm still working on it. It's fiber I got from an Etsy seller, Wicked Wool. Her shop is currently closed, and her profile states that she is busy with school but may be back at the end of May. The colors are nicely saturated, and I would definitely buy from her again.

So, I finished my Noro Nutkin socks, like, 2 weeks ago, and never posted about it. Yeah, I suck. Anyway, here they are:



Here's a shot of the inside seam of the cuff - I like how tidily the little stitches sit next to each other along the seam!


I call this photo "Study of Picot and Leg Stubble":




Project Details:

Pattern: Nutkin by Beth LaPensee for Knitzi
Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock in color S95
Needles: Addi Turbo size 0, circular, knit in magic loop method
Size: 9 1/2 inch foot, 6 inch leg
Pattern notes: The pattern is simple to memorize and is a satisfying knit. I slightly changed the cuff to add a picot edge. My socks tended to twist, and after I knit them, I noticed that there was a note on Ravelry on how to avoid that... if you joined the hem at the top even one stitch over, your sock would twist. I guess I did that. They recommended that you carefully mark the beginning of the row to avoid the twist. Rats! It doesn't really bother me all that much, fortunately.

What does bother me is this: I love the colors and the repeats in the Noro sock yarn. However, a 6 inch tall sock doesn't really show off these colors enough, in my opinion. So, I set off to make some Noro knee socks. I am almost done, actually, but am in a bit of a pickle. You see, I worked toe up, and made sure to weigh the yarn as I went along to leave enough yarn for sock #2... but, my legs are quite long. Someone else on Ravelry was able to get true knee highs out of a single ball of Noro Kureyon Sock yarn, but I am about 2 1/2 inches shy of a true knee high length. What's a girl to do? Here is what the socks currently look like:




I feel that I have three options:

1. Wear knee socks that I worked on for a long time, but are too short.
2. Knit a 2 1/2 inch cuff in a coordinating solid color (black, in this case
3. Rip them out. Knit the toe, heel, AND cuff in a coordinating solid color.

In all reality, I think I will like the socks the most if I go with option #3... but the thought of ripping ALL of that work out is nothing short of a travesty, in my mind. I WILL have the most wonderful socks ever that are the most aesthetically pleasing to me at the end of it all, but... no one else will see the toe and the heel and the cuff all at once... ugh. What should I doooooo!

2 comments:

Cece said...

You need to buy another skien of the noro.

Trinity said...

I agree with cece. You need to buy another skein.

That picot edge is beautiful.