Saturday, July 05, 2008


I have been knitting....


.... not that you'd know it from looking here!

First off, some successes, starting with "Shrug This, Me Size".


The original pattern garnered a lot of comments about how it fit perfectly... if you were a 7 year old girl! So, I started by casting on more stitches, and continued the raglan increases for much longer than suggested, until things seemed to fit my frame. The pattern was only 30 inches around... who is 30 inches around???

Anyway, I also lengthened the pattern. It has already gotten good use - I just toss it on over a tank top if there is a bit of a chill in the air, and it is just perfect!

Project Details:

Pattern: Shrug This by Toni Kayser Weiner
Yarn: Lion Brand Cotton Ease, 4 skeins, used doubled
Needles: Denise Interchangeables, size 10 1/2 US
Modifications: I cast on eight extra stitches to start out, and did 16 raglan increases instead of the prescribed 12. I then knit 10 inches of body, then did the ribbing and cast off. Had I not done any addition to the body, the shrug would have ended mid boob - and considering my modest bust, this is surely saying something!

Comments: I'm REALLY not sure what adult human the original pattern would fit. There were women who said that they usually buy XS shirts, and this shrug was too small. Additionally, the pattern is only made in one size. However, despite these things, I definitely like the construction and design of this item. It was just the thing I needed to keep away the chill during early summer mornings or late evenings.

Next up, a duo of Noro hats. I acquired a couple of skeins of Noro from friends, and found this groovy pattern on Ravelry for the Noro Spiral One-Skein Hat by Manuele Ducret.



Project Details:
Pattern: Noro Spiral One-Skein Hat by Manuele Ducret
Needles: Denise Interchangeables size 8, magic looped
Yarn: Noro Kureyon, colorways # 138 (the bright one) and 116 (the black and grey one)
Modifications: I got a gauge of 4 stitches to the inch, and cast on 88 stitches. I knit the straight part of the hat for 5 1/2 inches before decreasing.
Notes: I like this pattern! It is simple to memorize, the pattern shows up against the Noro but doesn't take away from the color changes.

I've also been spinning! Here was the fiber I chose; it's from Woolytreasures , and is about 5 oz of merino.


Here are the spun singles. I felt that the fiber was a bit clumped together, maybe even a little felted at spots, but with a lot of predrafting, things turned out very well. I did feel that the colors were very vibrant and well saturated - there were no undyed spots or faint spots.



And here it is, all plied up! My urge is to underply, so I plied it MORE than I thought I ought to, and I think it turned out quite well! There are about 280 yards of worsted weight yarn here, and I'm not sure what to do with it. It's not totally even, there are thick and thin spots, so it couldn't be anything that required a precise, crisp look. There's enough for like 4 hats, certainly enough for a scarf of some sort. I just don't know yet!


I have serious startitis lately. The problem is this: every project I start, I manage to totally screw up somehow, and have to do some major ripping/ restarting. I don't know what the deal is! The Rusted Root WAS finished, but I decided it was too short and have unraveled the bottom ribbing, but don't feel like finishing it. Plus, I have now decided that I don't like the ribbing I did around the neck and sleeves, either. I started the February Lady Sweater, knit to below the armpits, and then decided I really needed to do the next size up. Then, I completed the main part and got maybe 7 inches into one sleeve, then suddenly realized I had knit the sleeve onto the wrong side of the sweater. Rrrrrrrrrrip. Then, I started a toe up sock and I think that I have made the foot part too long.

So, what next? Will I run away from all of these projects, or will I belly up to the bar and actually finish something? All of these projects look like they are going to be really great - both sweaters look like they fit very nicely, and will therefore be faves to wear. but, um, not in their unfinished forms! Aggggh! I even made two hats out of handspun yarn, and had to restart one of them, too! (the crocheted one had to be redone... luckily, it was a VERY quick knit). I'm wondering if I need to do some sort of two hour SUPER EASY project that will be like a reparative experience for me. Or is that just the startitis talking!

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Those hats are so pretty! :) I love the shrug too - I saw that pattern and wondered who in the hell it would fit!

I've got the startits too - is it catching?

Lynne said...

I love the hats and the bolero is adorable (were you wearing one the other day?) And the fiber you spun is really pretty too, bring it in to show and tell next open studio. Where do you find the time?

sukeyknits said...

I thought I had clicked on cec's blog and was so amazed she made something dark grey. Then I saw the spinning and it all fell into place. I can't wait to see the shrug me on you - looks like one of those essentials one loves having in the closet.