Thursday, July 24, 2008

Making Laundry Detergent

Yes. I made my own laundry detergent. Why, you ask, would I do that? Well, commercially made detergents have a lot of fillers in them, and the home made stuff I was buying online was nice, but kinda pricey. I did some research, found a few recipes for laundry powder, and went to town. Here are the groovy, old timey ingredients:


Recipe: 1 cup grated Fels Naptha soap
1/2 cup 20 Mule Team Borax
1/2 cup Arm & Hammer washing soda

I had to chop up the soap:


Grate it - that was loud and fun! (I then chopped it further with the choppy blade)


Here it is, all mixed together:


There was a little soap leftover, and of course, a ton of the other stuff. You only need a tablespoon of it, and it's about 3 cents per load.

I tried it right away, of course. I was a little nervous, because the Fels Naptha soap had a horrible perfumey odor to it. Just awful. But you know what? My laundry came out smelling like warm, fresh fabric, instead of perfume. Even better than commercial detergents!

So, I am pleased.

This little exercise also kinda fits into my New Year's resolution of being more environmentally conscientious... none of the ingredients are yicky in that environmenty way.

1 comment:

KnittingKnirvana said...

Thank you for sharing this! My 7 month old son has been having allergy issues. Laundry soap and dryer sheets are two of the things we have focused in on as possible allergens. I never thought of making my own laundry soap. Thanks for putting the idea in my head!!