Saturday, July 05, 2008

Tour de.... Fleece?

Today was the first day of the Tour de France, as well as the Tour de Fleece! Internet savvy knitters and spinners are always dreaming up timely knitting/ spinning challenges, and the latest is the Tour de Fleece.

The idea is to spin along with the cyclists, but on our spinning wheels instead of on bicycles. So, I spread out my stash and surveyed the scenery, to decide which fiber to start with:


Yeah... there are a lot of options there! I decided upon a gorgeous 5 ounce braid of merino from Wooly Treasures on Etsy.

Now, it appears as though most participants are just going to spin like crazy, but my goal is going to be a little different - my goal is to both spin AND knit this up into something, since I've already spun a bunch of yarn and haven't managed to actually KNIT any of it! I think that this is because I'm sort of afraid that the yarn will be inferior and will fall apart as soon as I start to knit it or something! I hope I'm wrong! :)

I started spinning this morning along with the riders. At first, I was all confused and upset, because I could swear that today was Day 1, but it was called "Stage 1" instead of the "Prologue". Where was the prologue? Where did it go? When was it? Fortunately, I figured out that I did not miss out on anything, there was no Prologue this year.

I didn't take pictures of my spinning from today, but will update as I go along.

4 comments:

Jackie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

Your stash is gorgeous. I'm still resisting the spinning but I don't know how long I can hold out.

tnt said...

Wow, that is some stash.

sukeyknits said...

Can't wait to see how everything knits up. Wonderful to have some Olympic pieces.