Tuesday, October 07, 2008

When will I stop being cool?

I thought about this today, particularly in relation to my job. Currently, I have a nice balance with the kids I work with: I can comfortably joke that I am old and uncool, but the kids still like me and say I'm nice and whatnot. One of them saw me in the hallway today, and darted back and forth in front of me as if to fake like she wasn't going to let me pass. That type of sense of humor is right up my alley, so I darted back and forth, too, and said, "no way, you are never getting past me!" she laughed, and of course I let her 'win'.

Will there be a time when I'm too old for that stuff? When the kids will stop relating to me like that? Or, will it just shift to something that's still good, but different? With what I do at work, it is SO IMPORTANT for the kids to see me as someone they can relate to on some level. Will 45 be too old? 55? 65? Oh, jeesh, I hope I am not doing this at 65!

Already, I notice that I don't know all of the singers/ bands/ music they listen to any more. I actually blame that on my short commute - I used to do 'research' to and from work when I lived far away... 1 1/2 hours a day of listening to current pop music kept me in the know! I even liked some of it! I still do like some of it, but never listen to it any more. Hmmmm....

I guess maybe I'm leaning toward the idea that it might not be QUITE the same, the joking around might change tone as my skin wrinkles and my hair starts to require color-related intervention, but I'm assuming that my openness and my sense of humor will remain, and maybe the wisdom I earn every year of being on this earth will just add something good to the mix.

2 comments:

KnittingKnirvana said...

I think you can bank on your sense of humor to continue to make you relatable when you are gray, wrinkly and really old!

Amanda said...

ooh, i hope i'm not still working when i'm gray, wrinkly, AND really old!!! i hope i'm sipping margaritas under an umbrella by a pool, being served snacks and making inappropriate comments to the cabana boys!