Monday, December 01, 2008

Black Friday

Have any of you ever gotten up EARLY on the Friday after Thanksgiving to take advantage of the Black Friday sales? I never had, until this year. There were a few items I found in the sales circulars that were such good deals, it made me believe that perhaps 4 AM was a perfectly reasonable time to go to the mall!

I accidentally woke up at 3 AM and couldn't fall back asleep, partly because I had to take a visit to the lavatory, and partly because I am very, very sensitive and my body was all out of whack - my home is very warm, and I'm used to sleeping in a pretty warm environment. My parents' house is much cooler, and all day Thursday and Friday, I was hotcoldhotcoldhotcold.

I tossed and turned until about 4:30, when I decided to get up and go to Bon Ton, which is similar to Macy's, I suppose. They had this great Pyrex set for 75% off the regular price. I arrived at quarter to 5, which was 45 minutes after they opened, which was evidently too late to get the set - all sold out! Jeesh! It was just as well, because there were lines 50 people deep ALL OVER the store. It was amazing.

So, I drove around to the other side of the mall to Sears, and waited outside in line for 15 minutes, until they opened at 5 AM. When the doors opened, I walked in, grabbed the microwave I wanted (60% off regular price with sale + rebate), paid right away, and walked right out. Easy peasy.

Then, off to Target across the street. They didn't open until 6, so I waited in line outside for 45 minutes. I was definitely starting to get cold by the end of that time. It was amazing how long the line was behind me! Again, I walked in, grabbed the item I wanted (GPS $100 off regular price), paid, and walked right out, as people were still in line pouring into the store. I was the first person to leave, and they hadn't even unlocked the exit doors yet!

THEN, (whew, getting tired) I went to the Verizon store - sale on phones. New phone, free after rebate. Cheaper plan than before. Score!

Finally, Joann Fabrics for some cheap flannel.

I got home around 8 AM, I think. I was very tired. I took a nap, during which I got really cold, and I yelled out, "MOOOOOMMMMMMMM!" She came to the rescue with a heated up rice bag and a blankie... I live by myself, so it is definitely nice to have someone to take care of me when I am cold and sad. Thanks, Mom!

The only downside to the day is that when I went to go fill out the rebate papers, I realized that the doofus at Sears had printed out my receipt and about 14,000 coupon offers, but not the rebate slip! Dagnabbit! I will definitely have to call and see what can be done about that. I want my rebate!

Would I do it again? Well, considering I got $400 worth of stuff for $167 (not including the savings of a cheaper phone contract), yes. I would. Lessons learned: wear long underwear, get to the store before it opens and stand in line, and have only one or two items in mind per store for easy in, easy out access. Between now and Christmas, I hope to not have to enter any stores, and to be able to do my shopping online. Wish me luck, and happy shopping and happy holidays to all of you, too!

2 comments:

knittingknirvana said...

Nice haul! I use to go black Friday shopping every year until last year (I was 2 weeks away from giving birth and this year I didn't want to subject the baby). Although, I usually didn't hit the stores until the much more reasonable hour of 7am. Their are outlets near me that have great sales before 10am. The Gap always had sweatshirts and fleeces for $10. The nieces and nephews always knew what they were getting from me!

aweso said...

you've got some balls. people are feckin nuts around this time.