Monday, December 22, 2008

One reason to dislike the snow

In general, I like snow. It is pretty, and the whole 'winter wonderland' thing is pretty appealing to me. The main issue I have with it is its ability to bring modern transportation to its knees. It is not quite so bad now that I work somewhere that frequently is closed when the snow is really bad... but the worst part is this: people who are unable to get to their families for special occasions, like, say, Christmas.

For instance, my brother and his wife are going to miss Christmas with us this year. They are snowed in and there is no chance that they will make it here. I am going to guess that it would have been the last Christmas for a while that we'd see them - once their baby is born, I would assume that they would want to stay closer to home and celebrate as a family, much as we did when I was a kid. I'm at least glad that they have each other to be with... and with modern technology, we can take lots of pictures, and maybe even chat by webcam and such.... but still.

I don't always like the snow.

3 comments:

knittingknirvana said...

That is a very good reason to not like snow!!

Lynne said...

I have many reasons I don't like snow. In fact there is only one good reason for snow, you get to stay indoors, with a pot of soup on the stove and knit.

Sorry your brother won't be here this year :( We were smart and sent my mom to my brothers early this year.

Hope your Christmas is still happy and wonderful in spite of the snow.

Marianne said...

I'm sorry your brother isn't able to make the trip - I know you were looking forward to seeing him.