Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Excellent tip, readers!

Several of you contacted me, either through comments or backchannel email, suggesting that I save money by doing meal planning. I could not agree more - I have been on the meal planning bandwagon for some time now, and it saves a ton of money, not to mention preventing food waste!

It has become a regular routine for me to sit down with a cookbook every week or so, and pick out a couple of recipes to buy ingredients for. I have even been known to look through my cabinets to see what various canned foodstuffs might already be at hand, to make the recipe even cheaper.

In addition to buying ingredients for a couple of recipes, I always get milk, eggs, cheese, bread, cottage cheese, fruit, peanut butter and jelly, cereal... you know, the stuff that you can cobble together a quick meal with once you have eaten the recipes, and before you feel like going to to the grocery store again!

I estimate that I spend as little as $30 and as much as $60 on groceries in any given week. Usually in the $40-$50 range... I have no idea if that is normal for one person, but that is what it costs for me. Another grocery related saving tip is to avoid buying prepackaged snacks... they are empty calories, and it is easy to inhale 20 bucks' worth in just a few days - especially if you are pro-snack, like I tend to be, if my true snacking urges are left unchecked! Also, you can try to center your recipes around ingredients that are on sale that week.

This week, my snazzy recipe was pork chops cooked with red cabbage and apples, alongside some herbed cooked carrots... 'twas rather tasty!

2 comments:

aweso said...

i love this idea! it's something that i've been wanting to do, but haven't disciplined myself to get my act together.
check out the women's health magazine website; it's chock full of healthy recipes and tips. i like this article, called "10 foods, 40 recipes", which is just along the lines of what you're talking about: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/healthy-recipes-0

Amanda said...

wow, that is a great tip - lots of things i would totally eat!