Saturday, January 17, 2009

Vehicular Update

So, a couple of people pointed out to me that I had not blogged about what finally ended up happening with my car. What happened was painful. Ouchy. Worse than stubbing a toe, then dropping an anvil on it. The upshot is, they couldn't replicate the scrapy noise, but the exhaust issue they said was coming down the pike finally came to fruition, along with word of a catalytic converter that needed replacing. Oh, and I was also due for the 'do these things every 30,000 miles or your car will die' maintenance... of course, that list is an expensive one. The good news, if you can call it that, is that the car will hopefully be retired before it needs another one of those maintenance visits.

The whole shebang was rather expensive. Like, several weeks' net salary expensive. However, the car is still running, has been starting up without complaint even in this ridiculously cold weather, and the shop says the Skittle will hopefully be in action for another 20-30,000 miles. That is good news, particularly because I only drive about 7,500 miles a year these days.

So, needless to say, the whole 'spend no unnecessary money and sell a kidney on the black market' plan is in full effect. I actually babysat today for a few hours today. It was the first time in YEARS that I have babysat, but desperate times call for desperate measures, and let's face it - I have over 20 years' experience working with kids - I am a ridiculously overqualified babysitting machine. It was like riding a bicycle - we were playing games, building stuff, and I was calmly suggesting that he not throw ALL 52 cards up in the air all at the same time. Conveniently, he totally bought the act (you know, the act that I tooootally knew what I was doing). He even fell for the old 'cleanup as competition' trick that my mother taught me - at one point, I needed to use the bathroom, but was not sure what trouble he'd get into while I was out of the room, so I challenged him to a race: he needed to clean up the puzzle before I returned, and yes, it worked like it always does. Huzzah! What's even better? I evidently tired him out so much that he took a 3 hour nap after I left and went to bed on time tonight. Naturally, I won both him and his parents over with that.

Even better than that is that I will be paying for my groceries in cash for the next two weeks. Yesssssss.

2 comments:

mariannika said...

Awww, Amanda - I'm so sorry about the car!

Liz (made in lowell) said...

Great first babysitting report!! You rock :) LOL "The Skittle" Long may she run :)