Tuesday, March 31, 2009

When it Rains, it Pours

While this IS a great post title for the nearing onset of April, it's not the reason I chose the title. There is a much better, much more long-winded reason for my title choice!

I have made many mentions of my plan to pay down certain amounts of debt over the next few years, and have also mentioned that I am still sticking to the plan. Actually, I just crunched the numbers for March, and not only did I meet my monthly paydown goal, I have a little over $100 surplus for the month. That might not seem like a lot, but trust me.... the paydown goal is really aggressive, and to have anything left over at the end of the month is quite an accomplishment!

Aaaaanyway, what is it raining in my world this year, ever since making this goal? It's raining part time jobs, believe it or not! Now, the jewelry 'business' has been slumping quite a bit, so I'm not really counting that, but I have that part time babysitting job and the knitting job already. And as of yesterday, I was offered another part time job out of the blue! I was running a little later than I would have liked to get to work (although still not technically late). I passed by a coworker from the downtown office, and she said, "I have your name on my desk." Hm, why might that be? Turns out, I had put in an application to tutor expelled students at the beginning of the year, but nothing had materialized from that. But now, there is a position available at a local homeless shelter for someone to help the kids who live there with their homework. I would get to use my social work skills, too, because the grant funding goals include family support, as well as generalized educational/social/academic support for the kids. I have an 'interview' on Wednesday, but was basicallly told by my pal from the downtown office, "let me know what hours you decide upon with the shelter manager". Wow. "Pardon me, ma'am, would you like a job that is just perfect for you?" "Why yes, yes I would." *insert several more wows here*

I think I have more jobs than I know what to do with at this point, but I am incredibly grateful to have this type of problem! There is also the possibility of part time work over the summer, which would be pretty cool. How did I get to be so lucky???

1 comment:

knittingknirvana said...

You must be putting out some seriously good karma!! Keep up the great progress on your aggressive paying down!