Monday, May 18, 2009

Now, that's a lotta fiber!

This may sound strange to the knitters out there, but lately, I have been feeling stressed out by my stash. This is particularly true now that I'm doing more knitting for designers, and not knitting out of my stash... I feel like I NEED to knit more, to knit through the stash, for whatever reason. (Designers, don't feel bad - this is MY issue, not yours! ;-) ) I've forgone purchasing yarn for the most part this year... I spent a mere $16 on yarn at SPA in Maine this year, and only added one ball of sock yarn in with an order that I placed when I needed more yarn to finish a project. That sock yarn was featured 2 posts ago, btw... so it's not in my stash!

Okay, I'm sort of meandering away from the point of this post. I decided that in order to better know what I had in my stash, I really needed to photograph and organize it all. The upshot? I own seven pounds of spinning fiber - enough for 22 different projects, actually.

And that's just the spinning fiber. As for yarn, it appears as though I have about 100 different yarns, many of which I have multiple balls of. This includes only FULL balls of yarn that have never been used by me in any other project. It does NOT include the partial balls I have that are left over from years and years worth of projects! I still have delusions of pulling these leftover bits out and knitting up some wacky afghan or something like that. Who knows... maybe someday I will!

So, you might wonder how many years' worth of knitting happiness all of this yarn will give me... well, considering that I have logged about 75 projects (not including for-pay projects I've done this year) since October 2007, I definitely haven't reached SABLE yet. (Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy) Perhaps I will actually NEED to go yarn shopping before my 40th birthday, but then again, perhaps I won't!

Now, how in the world am I going to resist buying yarn at the Sock Summit in August, or at Rhinebeck this fall??? Maybe if I make those crazy leftover afghans before then, I can allow myself a little purchase or two???

Oh, and if you are interested in seeing some of the most recent yarns I have stashed, click HERE.

3 comments:

sukeyknits said...

Strange, I was feeling the same thing - lots of yarn. I've even forgone the visits to Webs sales this year. Strange how the stash sneaks up on you. Thankfully I have just a little amount of fiber as I haven't gotten into spinning. Great job on the pics. I need to do that too.

Cece said...

I am soooooo jealous that you get to go to the sock summit.

knittingknirvana said...

I am also super jealous of you going to Sock Summit.

Have you seen those crocheted scarves and afghans that are all different colors? They are great for scraps. At some point I will make a scraps afghan too!