Tuesday, August 25, 2009

FERRET! AAAHHHHHHHH!!!

I was sitting in my office this morning, minding my own business, when I suddenly spied a large-ish, dark shape moving across the floor. I looked up, and it was a dark brown ferret! What in the world?!?

At first, I tried to call it over to me... it is/was probably someone's pet, so it had to be friendly, right? (I know, I don't know what I was thinking, but whatever.) It didn't come over to me, just kept hopping around, so I calmly left the room and shut the door.

I found the custodian.

Me: Rick, you will never believe what I have trapped in my office right now.
Rick: (looking skeptical) what?
Me: A FERRET! Hand to God, Rick, there is a ferret in my office.
Rick: Are you sure it's not a rat?
Me: Yes, I'm sure it's not a rat.

We go back and forth a bit; Rick is hesitant to believe my tale of mystery and excitement.

I tell several other coworkers; no one believes me. "How did a ferret get into the building?"

I was a bit baffled by their question... this isn't exactly Fort Knox over here. Doors are propped open during deliveries, for instance, and ferrets are sneaky, squeezy little creatures.

My coworkers tromped upstairs and looked in through the window next to the door. The ferret was frolicking around, jumping up on the bookshelf, trying to knock my pictures down from the wall, and having a good old time. After a while, he appeared tired and rested in the corner. I took advantage of the moment and darted in to my office to grab my breakfast and my iced coffee; the ferret did not seem to mind. I really didn't want the ferret to eat my breakfast!

Anyway, animal control arrived in a fairly short period of time, and caught my little friend in one of those bags-at-the-end-of-a-stick contraptions. Now here comes the most exciting part:

Ferrets spray when they are scared. This spray smells rather terrible. Now, my office smells skunky/ musky/ animal urine-y. Ewwwww! Even grosser, I checked out the spots where I saw the ferret had climbed, and it looks like there are pee trails everywhere. GROSSSS! Fortunately, I have some all purpose cleaner and unlimited paper towels and some industrial spray disinfectant.

I just hope the ferret didn't sneak into my purse and use my cell phone to make any long distance calls.

It has been quite the week already... all of this happened before 9 AM today! Jeepers.

3 comments:

Lynne said...

Ewww I hate ferrets - well I hate rodents in general...

Love the Quincy hat! Is that Malabrigo?

Amanda said...

'twas Manos del Uruguay... i guess i forgot to mention that!

Peldyn said...

Awww, how cute are ferrets? I had a skunk at my house and they are cute too, if a bit stinky.