Monday, October 19, 2009

Rhinebeck, part 1

Well, I am now recovered from my weekend at Rhinebeck, the New York State Sheep and Wool festival! I have caught up with sleep, unpacked my bags and put them away, and am working on figuring out where to put my newly purchased yarn!

I rushed home after work on Friday to make sure I was all ready to be picked up by my pal Marianne, and we went and got Katy and Yovani afterward. We got a little mixed up on our way to the KOA Kampground we stayed at, but the mixup meant that we got a good look at the town of Saugerties, which helped us scout for restaurants and get the lay of the land. The "Kabin" was small, clean, and 'heated' by a space heater, and the bathrooms were in a building a few campground spots away.

After we quickly settled in, we headed back out for some dinner... I don't remember the name of the restaurant/pub, but the menu was interesting and the food was good. We went to bed fairly early, but I had a hard time adjusting to the cold and such... and didn't sleep very well at all!

However, I did my best to look alive the next day, and we started out with a great diner meal before heading over to the fairgrounds. The festival itself offered so much to see - so much yarn, fiber, so many animals, great fair-type food... the best of which was the maple cotton candy - yummmm!

Our plans to eat at a particular fancy restaurant that evening were foiled by a desire to be a bit more free-wheeling with our plans, but we know for next year to make a reservation... otherwise, you end up at a restaurant with empty tables... and the tables are empty for a reason! The food was pretty good, but the service was fairly poor, to be honest.

After dinner, we made our way to the Ravelry party. By that point, I was awfully tired and didn't have as much fun as I probably would have otherwise! However, I chatted with a bunch of nice people by the bonfire, and tried to do some dancing to the tunes pumped out by a groovy dj who had a great, grizzly beard and a cigarette perpetually dangling out of his mouth.

I slept much better on Saturday night, which is usually the case in a new bed... the second night always goes better!

On Sunday, we ate at Mezzaluna for breakfast... it was SO GOOOOD! After that, we swung by the fairgrounds one last time, and I bought some wonderful yarn from Maple Creek Farm - enough for a fabulous sweater, which I plan on designing myself!

On our way home, we enjoyed the sight of snow while we drove along the Taconic Parkway, which is actually a beautiful drive!

Many thanks go to Marianne for taking the lion's share of the driving responsibilities, you were a champ, my dear!

I haven't taken photos of my new yarn yet; that will be taken care of whenever I get around to "Rhinebeck Part 2"!

3 comments:

sukeyknits said...

Maple syrup cotton candy - yummmm!

Stacey said...

very jealous! Glad you had a great time :)

Trinity said...

Hi Amanda. I didn't cross paths with you at Rhinebeck. Or, if I did I was too immersed in yarn goods to see you. Maybe next time! It does sound like you had a good time, though. Rhinebeck is such an invigorating event!

Also, I tagged you for a meme on my blog:
http://trinknitty.blogspot.com/2009/09/10-honest-things.html