Thursday, January 07, 2010

Croutons!

I love making enormous salads, with a wide variety of veggies, and lots of croonchy stuff on top, too, like nuts, seeds and croutons. However, store bought croutons tend to have some weird ingredients in them, so I decided to make some of my own. I looked at my new cookbook, "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian", and decided to try a hybrid of the crouton recipes I found. The dry baked croutons sounded a bit TOO dry for me, and the others sounded a bit too oily. So, I cubed a few slices of bread, tossed the cubes with a tablespoon or so of oil, along with some Italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. I spread them out on a baking sheet, baked them at 300 degrees for 10 or so minutes, tossed them around again, and baked until I was satisfied with the crunch level.

Verdict? Very yummy! I will definitely continue making my own croutons. I get to use whole wheat bread, no weird ingredients, and the cost is much lower than buying them at the store, too.

Confession: I initially tried the oven at 400 degrees as suggested by the recipe, and promptly burned the croutons. I figured a lower temp would give me more time to notice that burnination was happening.

Second confession: I ate said unburnt croutons before I could take a picture of them atop my lovely salad. Many apologies.

No comments: