Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Not Exactly a Resolution...

... but sort of. It goes along with my free floating idea of being nice to the environment, as well as the idea to being nice to my body, too. The resolution? As products/items in my home are used up, I will think about how to replace them with healthier, eco-friendlier products.

The first opportunity for making a change is going to be finding a new toilet cleaner. I will be turning to a great book by Linda Cobb for a lot of the cleaning solutions called "Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean". It contains loads of make-it-yourself cleaning ideas. For cleaning the toilet, she recommends vinegar and borax. I have also seen suggestions of vinegar and baking soda, and borax and lemon juice. I believe I'll give the vinegar and baking soda a try, and see what happens.

Actually, in my research, I have found that baking soda and vinegar appear to be rather popular for all sorts of cleaning applications, including washing one's hair!

I will naturally continue the updates as they occur, but will continue to use whatever products I have in my home until they run out - it seems silly to just throw them away!

3 comments:

sukeyknits said...

I use vinegar and baking soda to keep my drains clean - especially the shower. Pour in the soda, then the vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes and then flush with boiling water. My landlords love it as they claim the market drain cleaners are to harsh for the old pipes. I try to do it regularly to be preemptive of clogs.

Love the idea! Another great environmental trick I do is when I go to replace something, I ask if I need it in the first place. Less is better!

Lynne said...

I went a little further :) I bought myself a steam mop - no chemicals at all just water. It cleans and sanitizes. I'm thinking about getting one of the hand held steam cleaners for the 'other stuff' I figure if I just use steam for 3 months they will have paid for themselves by eliminating all the cleaning products :)

Amanda said...

suzanne, that's another good one for the drains... my drains do get cloggy now and again!

lynne, i may look into that!