Monday, March 15, 2010

My Mouth Has a Sad.

I went to the dentist for a simple cleaning today, and came home with one less tooth in my mouth! It was not exactly what I had expected today to say the least.

Until today, I still had all of my wisdom teeth. However, they are really packed in back there, and have always been hard to brush. So, one of them finally got a cavity today. I asked the dentist, "We're not actually going to put a filling in a wisdom tooth, are we?" I also said something foolish like, "Just pull them all OUT!"

As soon as the words were out of my mouth, I felt my anxiety level skyrocket and my heart started beating a mile a minute. I actually started shaking a little! The last novocaine experience I had was... not so excellent, and since I clench my teeth, they have become sensitive, and tooth cleanings are sometimes accompanied by zings of pain during scraping.

The dentist agreed that it made much more sense to pull the tooth rather than fill it, because I will continue to have difficulty brushing the tooth over time, and more decay will most likely occur. He said cheerfully, "Well, we can do it right now if you like; I have an open chair!" He also noted that if I really did want all four pulled, he would recommend going to an oral surgeon and getting put under anesthesia.

I bit the bullet, and walked over to the "empty chair". Although it was rather icky, I must say it was not as bad as I had feared, and didn't seem to take very long at all. And of course, once the trauma was actually over, I cheerfully requested that I be able to take the tooth home with me. Right now, the tooth looks a bit gross, but I was told that I can spruce it up in a little bleach for a less gruesome show and tell opportunity. (anyone want to see a picture?)

I don't feel so bad right now, but of course, the novocaine hasn't worn off yet... we'll see how things feel in a few hours!

3 comments:

Trinity said...

Yes! A picture! I like stuff like that. I have had our vet save the teeth she has taken out of our dogs so that I can see them.

I hope your healing is quick and painless.

sukeyknits said...

At first I thought you lost one of the more prominent showing teeth. Glad it was an "extra". I feel you're nervousness, especially since you're caught off guard and no time to mentally prepare. Although that might have worked to your advantage. Glad it went well. I'm curios what my jewelery making friend is going to do with her new "jewel" :)

Shelly said...

Hi Amanda! That was a very surprising extraction. I'm glad that you were able to have it removed to prevent further teeth damage.

Last month, my brother also had his wisdom tooth pulled out, since it had impacted his gums. It was causing so much pain and bleeding. He visited the (Memphis) dentists to have it inspected. Although there was no root canal problem, the dentist, Memphis based, recommended an extraction since the tooth can also cause teeth crowding. Fortunately everything went well, and he is enjoying his pearly whites again.

It's great that both of you had a positive experience. Thanks for sharing this post!