Monday, January 02, 2012

12 in 12 in 2012

I've never had much luck with resolutions. The only one I ever got to stick was the resolution to start using reusable shopping bags... that resolution went quite well, to the point that I didn't have any plastic bags left in the house to use for garbage bags! I also did quite well with my "five year plan" to pay down a bunch of debt. *pats self on back*

2011 was an all right year for me, but looking back, nothing really stellar stands out for me. I'd like for 2012 to be a little different. To that end, I'm going to try to make 12 changes over 12 months. I'm going to start with what I consider to be a "gimme", because I want to start with a success. For me, making financial changes seems to be easy in comparison to, say, going to bed early. So, we start with that.

For the month of January, I will improve my financial health by doing the following:

1. Tracking all of the money I spend
2. Analyzing the results to see whether I could/should continue for the rest of the year

Folks, I have done this for years at a time. I fell off the wagon in 2011, but it should be easy enough to start back up. I can do this one!

I haven't actually figured out goals 2-11 yet. I am thinking about the following:

Improve my sleep habits
Exercise regularly
Track my eating habits (I have gained a lot of weight over the last 1 1/2 years, and am not feeling my best)
Rekindle my enjoyment of my camera
Spend less time mindlessly surfing internet
Learn to meditate
Blog more often
Read more (I love to read - why don't I read more???)
Keep home in a tidier state

Part of the problem, as I see it: We all want to do better on most of these things. But why don't we? Why is it so hard to get it together? For me, it's certainly not a lack of time or finances. I work very close to home, don't work long hours, don't have a family. None of these tasks will cost much money, if any at all. In fact, #1 will hopefully have me SAVING money. I guess we get tired, distracted, or the to-do list just looks too long for us to actually believe that we can ever make a dent in it.

At any rate, I'm going to give this a try. For what it's worth, it's already January 9 and I've been tracking my spending all month, and have set up a nifty little spreadsheet and everything.

2 comments:

Britt (pigbook1@gmail.com) said...

I think part of why we fail is because we try to focus on it all at once. The other thing is that we are so generic. Your tracking spreadsheet is way more concrete than my generic cut spending (or whatever else)
Haven't seen you at knitting in ages! Hope you make it soon :-)

Sukey said...

Love #8 - more blogging! I bet some of the items will feed into the others. I've gotten bad about eating and feel like it effects the sleeping and other items. Good luck!