Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Bad Noise

Well, just in time for me to try minimizing expenses, my car started making A BAD NOISE. Sort of a scraping, flapping situation. A brief, uneducated under-car inspection (by me) resulted in no visual conclusion, other than the conclusion that my jeans had gotten salt stains on the knees.

This happened last night, which was rather ill-timed, as I had an important appointment to get to today, not to mention getting to and from work and whatnot. So, here is the part of the story where I explain that, even when things aren't working out, they somehow work out. Last night, I determined that Enterprise (car rental place) is less than two miles away from my mechanic. So, I reserved a car online, and made sure to get to the mechanic right when they opened this morning. I had planned to walk to Enterprise, as usually the mechanic does not have a shuttle running on Saturdays. This would have been a bit unpleasant, as the temperature was in the teens this morning, and it was a bit breezy. Also, the sidewalks (where there are sidewalks) are all lumpy and freezy and definitely difficult to navigate while remaining vertical.

But for some reason, they had a shuttle running today, so instead of hoofing it 2 miles in the freezing cold, I had a nice, warm ride. And, there was no line at the car place, so I was in and out in plenty of time to get to my appointment.

What is this important appointment? Well, I know I said I was not going to get a job, but... I decided that babysitting 1-2 times a month isn't quite as terrible as flipping burgers or selling stuff. So, today I met with a family who has a young son who needs looking after now and again, and yay! they liked me. A few more bucks flowing in the correct direction. Huzzah! Now, I just hope that the noise that my car was making was not an EXPENSIVE NOISE. I hate expensive noises.

3 comments:

mariannika said...

That stinks about your car. Babysittin's all the rage right now - Gist met with and babysat for a family in Andover on Friday and she's scheduled to do it twice more this week. It's not a bad way to make some extra money if you like kids...

knittingknirvana said...

I would love to find an adult babysitter as a back up for my parents who are our usual sitters. I'm not ready to entrust my baby to a teen. Very good idea to make some extra cash!!

Lynne said...

Congrats on the extra babysitting gig. Sorry about the car... I hope it wasn't something horribly expensive.