Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Beef Induced Bliss

So, I don't eat meat that often these days, but I find myself cooking it now and again. Recently, I decided I'd cook beef stew for my knitting friends. However, the entire process takes a long time, so I decided to cook it the night before they usually come. That night was tonight.

I have never made beef stew before, but I cruised the internet and found a recipe I thought sounded good. Anything called 'ultimate beef stew recipe' ought to be good, right? Indeed, it was fantastic! Someone had mentioned to me recently that they had beef stew with mushrooms in it, and they really are good - they turn sort of silky smooth and wonderful in the stew. The recipe also called for a horseradish sour cream sauce, which was okay, but not necessary. I did add some corn starch to thicken things up a bit, and used less red wine and more beef broth to balance it out, but all of the other flavors were perfect as is. Some unusual ingredients included large strips of orange zest and ground cloves... I really do think the orange zest added something special.

My tummy is happy and warm. Yumbo!

I hear we are getting another large pile of snow tomorrow. That might mean no knit night... I guess that might also mean more stew for me! Don't worry, ladies, this recipe will DEFINITELY make it back into the rotation in the future!

3 comments:

cbknits80 said...

I love beef strew - especially in a slow cooker!! Hopefully the snow slows by this evening for you!

mariannika said...

That sounds soooooooo yummy!

Lynne said...

That sounds really yummy!