Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sick of Winter Yet?

Because I'm not... at least, not quite yet. True, we'be been pummeled by snow, ice storms, snow, sleet, rain, snow and snow, and because of those factors my summer will be shortened by over a week, but I am not quite sick of it yet.

I have talked about this fact with a few different people and have come to a conclusion... it's the snow and the cold that get people down during the winter, and I have to deal with those two factors less than other people who live near me. First off, the snow: I live in a condo AND I park my car in a garage, so I am not responsible for any snow removal duties at all. Also, on especially bad days, I don't even have to drive to work, because it gets canceled. And, even if it is snowy and I have to go to work, it's only a couple of miles away - not exactly grueling. I remember last year when it took some coworkers 7 hours to drive home during a particularly ill-timed storm, it indeed took me 3 times longer than usual to get home... but... uh... it only took 30 minutes. Not exactly a hardship.

This brings me to the cold. My workplace is unpleasantly hot, so no shivering at work. Also, my home is all warm and cozy, so no shivering at home, either. I am sensible enough to put on long underwear when it is necessary for outdoor activities or what have you, so the cold isn't that terrible, either.

Now, don't get me wrong... this 'winter doesn't suck THAT bad' bravado usually lasts me until partway through March, and then I hit a wall. At that point in time, my feet start yearning for the spring's first pedicure and a pair of squishy flip flops, and I get super sick of putting on wool socks, sweater, hat, mittens, and scarf (under a warm coat, of course) every dang time I want to leave the house. I want to hear a damn bird tweeting, I want to enjoy an iced coffee, and awesomest of all, I want to know that I don't have to go to work for WEEKS! (that fact is why I don't feel all that bad about summer getting shortened - how in the world could I possibly whine about getting 7 weeks of vaca instead of 8? that would just be bitchy)

Speaking of summer vacation, I am starting to cook up some plans. I want to possibly go out to visit my brother and their new baby, who will be born some time in the next few weeks, and I am also thinking about whether or not I want to get some kind of part time job. The more I think about that one, though, the less possible I think it is... I work a week past when school ends, and have to go back a week before it starts... add in a week of traveling, and then I'm not that great of a summer hire, now am I? Good - scratch working off the list, haha!

In a few more hours, I'll be off to Maine for a nice, long weekend of relaxing and knitting. I do think I'm bringing my camera and laptop, so maybe I'll find the time to do some updates. I started my first knitting project last night, to get the ball rolling. New mittens by sunup? We'll see!

No comments: